A volcanic eruption has occurred near the Tonga Islands resulting in a Tsunami Advisory. Advisory level waves are being observed along the Pacific coast and some maximum wave amplitudes continue to increase.
The following parameters are based on a rapid preliminary assessment and changes may occur.
- Event: Volcanic Eruption
- Depth: 1 miles
- Location: Tonga Islands
- Origin Time: 2027 PST Jan 14 2022
- Coordinates: 20.5 South 175.4 West
The Tsunami Advisory has been cancelled for the following zones of coastal British Columbia:
- Zone C: the Outer West Coast of Vancouver Island from Cape Scott to Port Renfrew.
- Zone D: the Juan de Fuca Strait from Jordan River to Greater Victoria, including the Saanich Peninsula.
- Zone A: the North Coast and Haida Gwaii.
- Zone B: the Central Coast and Northeast Vancouver Island Coast, including Kitimat, Bella Coola and Port Hardy.
There are no further areas under Tsunami Advisory in BC. Please continue to listen to instructions from local officials until the ALL CLEAR has been issued in your community.
People in coastal areas that are at risk are advised to stay away from the shoreline and heed instructions from local authorities.
If you are in a tsunami advisory area:
- Do not go to the shore to observe the tsunami.
- Move out of the water, off the beach, and away from harbors, marinas, breakwaters, bays and inlets.
- Be alert to and follow instructions from your local emergency officials because they may have more detailed or specific information for your location.
- Do not return to the coast until local emergency officials indicate it is safe to do so.
- Boat operators: where time and conditions permit, move your boat out to sea to a depth of at least 180 feet; if at sea avoid entering shallow water, harbors, marinas, bays, and inlets to avoid floating and submerged debris and strong currents.
Earthquake and Tsunami Updates & Reports:
Types of Tsunami Alerts:
|WARNING||Flood wave possible||Full evacuation suggested|
|ADVISORY||Strong currents likely||Stay away from the shore|
|WATCH||Danger level not yet known||Stay alert for more information|
|INFORMATION STATEMENT||Minor waves at most||No action suggested|
|CANCELLATION||Tidal gauges show no wave activity||Confirm safety of local areas|