On Wednesday, Nov. 28 at 1:55PM (PST), Emergency Management BC conducted a test of the BC Emergency Alerting System. This is part of a Canada-wide system – Alert Ready – that allows officials to issue public safety alerts through major television and radio broadcasters, as well as compatible wireless devices, such as smartphones.
In order for emergency alerts to be received on a wireless device, the device must be:
- A smartphone that is able to use the LTE (or 4G) network for high-speed wireless communication;
- Wireless Public Alerting compatible;
- Have up-to-date software;
- Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued; and
- Within the emergency alert area.