How you can help people affected by wildfire
Donating used items like clothing or furniture is thoughtful but can be a financial and logistical challenge for communities already struggling in times of disaster. The cost of accepting, sorting, storing and dispersing items, including throwing away unusable items, often exceeds the benefit. The best way to support people affected by the current wildfire situation is through a financial donation.
The Government of BC is matching donations to the Canadian Red Cross until December 31. Donate to the Red Cross British Columbia Fires Appeal fund:
- online https://donate.redcross.ca/page/85877/donate/1
- by calling (toll-free) 1 800 418-1111
- by texting FIRES to 45678
- in person at BC Liquor Stores and BC Cannabis Stores
- by contacting your local Canadian Red Cross office
The Government of Canada also matched all eligible donations to the Red Cross British Columbia Fires Appeal Fund until August 10, 2021.
Financial donations are best because cash is:
- portable, timely, and cost-efficient
- supports local economies
- does not require shipping and transportation costs
- decreases environmental impact
- may be matched by other organizations, making your donation go further
If you can’t donate cash, consider holding a garage sale for your used items and contributing the proceeds.
How to donate carefully
Only donate to reputable, well-established charities. DO NOT give to door-to-door or over the phone campaigns.
- Avoid giving cash or using wire transfer services. Cheques should be made out to an organization, not an individual
- Donations made online should only be done on secure websites
- When asked for donations (over the phone, through an email or in person), ask the canvasser for identification or printed information about the charity
- Beware of high-pressure tactics. A legitimate charity will still be there tomorrow. Feel free to take the information and sleep on it
- Do an internet search for the charity’s name and background
- If you have concerns about the activities of a charitable organization, including its fundraising practices, call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1 877 442-2899
Large or corporate donations offers or inquiries can be sent to the Province of BC at email@example.com