How You Can Help
Donations to the Canadian Red Cross
Donations from individuals to the Red Cross to help people affected by recent flooding will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the BC government up to a total of $20 million. To be eligible for matching, donations need to be made between May 16 and July 31, 2018. Those wishing to help are encouraged to make a financial donation to the BC Floods Appeal in one of the following ways:
- by calling 1 800 418-1111
- by texting BCFLOODS to 30333 to make a $10 donation (billed to your phone)
- by contacting your local Canadian Red Cross office
Please note that collection of items is not needed at this time and the best way to support people affected by the current flood situation is through a financial donation. Cash is best because:
- It’s portable, timely, and cost-efficient
- It’s flexible
- It supports local economies
- It does not require shipping and transportation costs
- It decreases environmental impact
- Sometimes organizations match cash donations, making your donation go further
Once evacuees start to return home and specific needs are identified, this information will be shared with the public.
Where to donate
Only donate to reputable, well-established charities. DO NOT give to door-to-door or over the phone campaigns.