If you’re evacuated from your primary residence due to flooding, you may receive Emergency Social Services (ESS) for up to 72 hours or longer depending on your needs. Services can include food, lodging, clothing, emotional support and information updates.

ESS services are meant for people without access to other sources of support, such as insurance coverage or friends and family who can help. In many cases, home or tenant insurance actually provides greater support than what is available through ESS, so be sure to speak with your insurance representative to see what’s available to you.

If you need to evacuate your home and think you’ll need ESS support, in addition to clothing, supplies and essentials be sure to remember:

  • Your home or tenant insurance policy documents (including insurance company contact information)
  • Government-issued ID
  • Medical information (including current prescriptions)
  • Pet information (including vet information and prescriptions)

Contact Us

  • If you’re evacuated and have no other means of support or insurance coverage, questions about accessing Emergency Social Services should be directed to your local emergency program office or the reception centre listed in the Evacuation Order. Emergency Social Services referrals cannot be completed over the phone.