This alert has ended.
UPDATE: After further evaluation, there is no tsunami threat to BC as a result of an 8.2 magnitude earthquake that occurred 96.5 kilometres (60 miles) southeast of Chignik, Alaska on July 28, 2021.
Preliminary Earthquake Parameters
The following parameters are based on a rapid preliminary assessment of the earthquake and changes may occur.
- Magnitude: 8.2 (previously evaluated as 8.1)
- Origin Time: 2216 AKDT Jul 28 2021
- 2316 PDT Jul 28 2021
- 0616 UTC Jul 29 2021
- Coordinates: 55.5 North 157.9 West
- Depth: 11 miles
- Location: 96.5 kilometres (60 miles) SE of Chignik, Alaska
- 797 kilometres (495 miles) SW of Anchorage, Alaska
The latest earthquake and tsunami reports are available from: